Food I've made that I want to remember to make again. Some people write their recipes down on index cards and store them in the kitchen. I write mine down in this blog and share them with you.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars


One of my favorite food blogs is Cookies&Cups. This girl knows what she's doing when it comes to sweet treats. She does crazy things like put Reeses inside Oreo's. That's the stuff dreams are made of and she actually does it! Yeah, she is super cool like that. If it's possible to absorb calories through the computer, this would be the site where it would happen. Thankfully she is also funny so I am able to burn some of those unwanted calories back off while I am laughing at with her. It's a good thing we are not neighbors or else I would spend all my free time finding excuses to stop by her kitchen and see what's going on in her mixer that day. 

When I decided it was time to try a new dessert recipe there was no question where to start (and finish) my online search. This recipe is completely copied from her so if you love it and want to try it please be sure to give her the credit she is due. I am only posting it here in case Pinterest dies a sad death one day and I lose all those amazing pins I have saved. I don't want to forget this one and so it goes here in my food blog of recipes I want to make over and over again.

Find her original Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bar recipe here.



1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder


Cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar together. Add in the vanilla and egg and mix a little more. Switch the mixer over to low speed and add all the dry ingredients. This batter will be crazy thick and sticky and it will take all the self control you have to not get a spoon and sit down in front of the tv with just the mixer bowl full of batter. Be smarter than me and make this when you are home alone that way you can lick the bowl clean by yourself and not have to share it with your husband.
 
 
She recommends lining a cookie sheet with foil first and then spraying it with cooking spray. She's the expert, so I suggest you listen to her. Good luck spreading it around evenly...I told you it's thick and sticky. I end up using my fingers because the spatula just wasn't cutting it. Once you get done licking your fingers pop that sticky mess into a 350 oven for 20 minutes, or until the edges start to turn light golden brown. I've made this twice (in one week...but it's Christmas so I have an excuse) and it takes a little longer than the recommended 20 minutes in my oven. Keep an eye on it and pull it out when it just starts to turn brown. 


Let it cool and then frost with a thick layer of buttercream. Yep, this is her recipe too and it goes very well with the cookie bars. They are like a match made in heaven and I am not one to break up a good match.


1 1/2 cups butter at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
2 lb bag of powdered sugar (7-8 cups)
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
splash of vanilla (optional)
(I also added a little almond extract because everything's better with almond extract)


Cream the butter and shortening for about 3 minutes. Turn the speed way down and add the powdered sugar and milk. I start with 1/4 cup milk and then add increase the amount by 1 tbl at a time until it gets to the right consistency. I like it pretty thick for these bars.

Gloop it on nice and thick! These bars are good with a thick, super thick layer of frosting. You're not going to need it all though so have a back up plan for the extra frosting. It's a shame to let good frosting go to waste.


 

This makes about 40 heavenly squares. You can't taste the cream cheese, but it's there, working it's magic creating soft, moist cookie bars. Trust me, these are worth making!

No comments:

Post a Comment