Food I've made that I want to remember to make again. Some people write their recipes down on index cards and store them in the kitchen. I write mine down in this blog and share them with you.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cookie dough buttercream



So I made these cupcakes before, but the frosting needed some work.  I recently learned about this amazing product called Cookie Butter and instantly knew that it was the missing ingredient I needed to perfect this cupcake.  Cookie Butter is like peanut butter, only cookie flavored.  It's really hard to not sit down and eat it all with a spoon!


Cookie Butter is hard to find (Trader Joe's has it...when they can keep it in stock) so I used Biscoff Spread.  Same thing, different name.  You basically just add a spoonfull or two of Biscoff Spread to your regular buttercream recipe and then try not to eat it all before it goes onto the cupcakes.  I took the leftover frosting to Mom's house so she could top a cake off with it, but when I left she was eating it out of the bowl with a spoon.  It's that good!


3 sticks salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
2 lb bag of powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1/2 jar Biscoff Spread (maybe 3/4 cup?)

Use the paddle attachment for your mixer and beat the butter and shortening together together for a few minutes.  It should be super shiny and smooth!  Add the Biscoff Spread and beat it some more.  Slowly add in the powdered sugar giving it time to incorporate so you don't end up with a powdery white mess all over the kitchen.  As it gets thicker add the water as needed.  The more water you add the thinner it will be.  Once all the ingredients are in there turn the mixer to high and let it do it's thing for several minutes.  I went and did some laundry while it worked away.  I probably let mine go for about 8-10 minutes and the results were super smooth and fluffy. 


This would be good on a chocolate cake, but I stuck with my philosophy of "more is better" and put it top of my chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed cupcakes.  Is it really possible to have much cookie dough in a dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment