Food I've made that I want to remember to make again. Some people write their recipes down on index cards and store them in the kitchen. I write mine down in this blog and share them with you.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

BBQ Chicken in Cornbread Cups


These are much better than the picture makes me them look.  Trust me!

This morning on the Food Network every episode was about superbowl food.  These cornbread cups filled with BBQ chicken is from Paula Deen (see her recipe here).  I didn't follow her recipe exactly, but took what I remembered from the show and made them from that. 
  • 1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix (and the stuff to make it)
  • 1-2 chicken breasts
  • BBQ sauce
  • Sweet Pickles
Mix the cornbread according to the directions on the box and bake in a mini cupcake pan.  I made my first pan without cupcake liners, but it was very difficult to get them out, so I strongly suggest the cupcake liners.  I baked mine at 400 degrees for 12 minutes and they were perfect. 

 Once they come out you will need to smash the centers in so that a cornbread cup is created.  It's easier to smash them in while they are warm.  Be sure to only smash the centers, not the edges so that you will have a cup to hold the chicken in.  The cupcake liners really help keep everything together at this point. 

I used chicken breast I had in the freezer, but on the show they used a rotisserie chicken, or you could also used canned chicken.  Chop it up into tiny pieces and mix in some bbq sauce to taste.  Spoon the chicken into the cornbread cups and top with sweet pickles. 

I ate one warm and one cold...good both ways, although I recommend eating them warm.  This recipe was so easy and quick.  I was able to cook the chicken, mix it with bbq sauce, and cut up the pickles all while the mini cornbreads were baking.  I think next time I'll try mixing some cheese into the cornbread before baking it, because cheese makes everything better!

No comments:

Post a Comment